Abalone Experience

The Governor of Victoria, The Honourable Linda Dessau AC and Mr Anthony Howard QC visited Southern Ocean Mariculture on 7 March 2018 as part of their visit to the Port Fairy region and saw first-hand the processes involved in on-shore abalone farming.
The guests were appraised of the history and growth of the business since its inception 22 years ago.   Mark Gervis, General Manager, advised that Southern Ocean Mariculture has invested heavily in recent years in expanding its production capacity on the back of strong world-wide demand for abalone, with the Southern Ocean Mariculture produced “Ocean Road Abalone” branded farmed product being in particular demand for its clean, green and highly regarded export product.
Mr. Gervis advised that 75% of the production was sold to the export market of mainly Asian countries in either cans or vacuum-packed pouches that are processed within the region at a cannery in Portland.  The remaining 25% of product is sold directly into the Sydney market or via the Ocean Road Abalone web-site.   
IMG_4641-r_preview.jpeg
IMG_9796-r_preview-1.jpeg